JumpRope has the ability to directly import schedule data from STARS, the scheduling system currently in use in New York City public middle and high schools (and, more recently, K-5 schools). This can drastically reduce the time that it takes to get JumpRope up and running for your teachers, as it means that you only need to maintain the schedule in one system.
- Note: you will want to complete this process after any change to the schedule, however minor (though you may wish to collect a few and do it once every day or two if things change often at the beginning of a term).
- Note 2: we strongly recommend that you do not update the schedule during a school day, as many teachers are using the system and importing attendance. We won't actually stop you from doing it, but the system will give you a warning notification between the hours of 8am and 3pm. This is one of those "you'll thank us later" things.
- Note 3: certain student biographical information, including the address, date of birth, family notes, and primary contact phone number will be overwritten in JumpRope with the latest data from STARS. If you wish to update the data in JumpRope, either update it in STARS first and then synchronize or use our custom biographicals feature, which will never be overwritten by a synchronization with STARS.
The import process, however, has a couple of manual steps. When a schedule is changed/finalized in STARS, you must export four custom reports (3.07, 4.14, 4.15, 4.16) in order to get the data necessary to interpret the schedule for JumpRope. The steps are fairly basic for any seasoned STARS user, and for convenience the names of the necessary files are also listed in the Schedule tab of the Admin Console.
Special 3.07 STARS export directions:
Recent changes to STARS may require you to first create a group that encompasses your entire school before exporting the 3.07 file. Here are the directions:
- load to STARS Web
- go to Student Programming
- go to Student Groups
- create a new group
- click the radio button for all grade levels
- name the group 'All Students'
- click save
- look in the info box on the top of the page for the file
- record the number in the ID column
- put this number into the box for group number next to the 3.07 export report
- create the 307
Exporting from STARS: the reports can be accessed under Custom Reports in the Desktop Client, or in the Web Client by clicking on the blue "Download" icon in the upper right, near where it says "STARS Admin". On the page that loads, click the red "Custom Reports" icon in the upper right.
- Export the custom reports as CSV files. Please note that the Excel versions, while easy for our system to read, do NOT contain all of the necessary data (strange, right?). The CSV versions do. The reports are:
- 3.07 - Student Data: see special instructions above if necessary
- 4.14 - Enrollments
- 4.15 - Courses
- 4.16 - Course Catalog
- When exporting the 4.16 file, you'll want to choose option "1" (STARS Courses) if prompted.
- In order for this report to work properly, you must designate MPs in STARS.
Importing Files Into JumpRope:
Go to Schedule Imports in Admin and click on NEW SCHEDULE IMPORT:
Click the Choose File button next to each file type to load that file into JumpRope. We do not currently support drag-and-drop or selecting multiple files at once.
Repeat the Load Process for Each File, and click Upload Data
Once all four files have been selected, click on the blue "Upload Data" button and wait for a confirmation message. Once you get confirmation that the upload was completed, click on the Close button and grab a cup of coffee or clear the hallways while the import completes. It should take between one and five minutes. During this time, the system takes a snapshot of your current schedule data (if any), saves a backup of it, and imports the new data. It shows the status along the way, and will let you know if any blocking errors occur (some errors may occur during normal usage, and things will still work fine).
JumpRope can map students to advisors based on enrollments in a subset of course codes in your schedule. To do so, switch to the Backoffice and follow the instructions in this document: https://support.jumpro.pe/hc/en-us/articles/203062894-Aligning-Students-to-Advisory-or-Homeroom
Wasn't that fun? It will be a lot easier next time, I promise. Let us know if you need help with anything!