We understand how important the feedback loop is in education. If students need to wait weeks or months to get feedback on their learning, they're unlikely to truly capitalize on their potential to improve (was that cheesy?). Furthermore, getting parents in the loop and engaging them with their student's education on a regular basis is perhaps the most important step that schools could take to improve student achievement.
It is with this understanding that we have designed the Student & Parent Portal. Our design goal was to provide a very easy to use system that allowed students and families to view real-time grade data. There were many important things to consider in this, including the degree to which the "mastery" thing is honored for external audiences (this is a tricky one, as external audiences may simply get frustrated when they don't understand "grades") and the fact that there is such a thing as "too real-time" when it comes to grading.
The Student & Parent Portal tab of the Admin Console allows you to change a number of settings that govern the behavior of the portal. You can also view and access the portal from a student's perspective using these tools. Jump to Creating Student Accounts here.
It's important to note that students and parents currently have identical access to the same portal, and will share the same login method. We believe that in 95% of cases, students and parents will want to consume roughly the same data... and simplicity rules when it can. We're always interested in hearing your feedback if you feel otherwise. Here's an overview of the options available:
- (1) Status: Check this box to enable the Student & Parent Portal. Un-checking the box will disable it entirely.
- (2) Login Method: This allows you to change the method that students and families can use to access the portal. Your options are:
(3) Get the Link: We suggest that you post this link on your primary school website for ease-of-access. There are same fancy logos available for your use here: http://www.jumpro.pe/landing/jumprope-logos/. You may also wish to print the link when you print out progress reports, to give the portal some publicity.
(4) Score Dates: Students and parents usually aren't super aware of the school's schedule (at least not to the extent that staff are). As such, we require that a start and end date for the grades that are displayed in the parent portal be set within the Admin Console. You (or someone at your school) will be responsible for keeping this setting up to date as marking periods and terms progress. You're also welcome to set it to the whole year, so that students and parents see cumulative grades throughout the year. The actual dates of this setting behave exactly as they would in the Progress Report or Mastery Explore, described in detail in this entry. Should you choose not to limit scores on the Portal to a specific date range, JumpRope will use the same date range that is used in the Teacher Dashboard (which will typically limit to the current term or marking period, depending on whether you have set up marking period dates for the school.
(5) Score Options: These settings allow you to show and hide individual tabs within the Student & Parent Portal
- Login with Username and Password: in this mode, students or parents can log in if they type in the exact username (must be a unique email address) and password provided. You can set up usernames and passwords in the Accounts section. This login method is required if you students will be accessing the portal through our mobile apps.
- Login with Student Name and Password: in this mode, students or parents can log in if they type in the exact name of the student (first and last) as well as the password provided.
- Login by Providing Biographical Info: in this mode, students must provide their full name, ID number, and basic biographical information to confirm identity. This method is less secure than the password mode, but easier to manage because you never have to communicate passwords to parents. Specifically, they're asked to provide their street, house number, and/or phone number.
- Google Apps Single Sign-On: If you provide Google Apps accounts to your students, they will be able to log in simply by logging into their Google Apps for your Domain account and granting JumpRope access via a Google authentication screen. This functionality requires a few manual steps, so please contact our support staff to start the process.
(6) Welcome Message: This is your opportunity to welcome students and families to the portal. Give them a customized welcome message here, and it will be the first thing that they see upon logging in! You may wish to give special contact information, directions on use, or second-language translations. A simple example of this is shown here: http://screencast.com/t/k8LBpg5NIQ
(7) Grade Introduction: We give you free reign to display an introductory paragraph to students and parents when they are looking at the grades in the portal. This allows you to give instructions, explain language, welcome parents, or provide second-language translations as needed. We recommend one to three sentences. An example is shown at this top of this screenshot, just above the grades: http://screencast.com/t/Nln6nd94W
(8) Attendance Options: JumpRope lets you customize the attendance details that are available to students and parents. In some cases, you may wish to disable specific attendance information for legal or practical reasons. For example, it can be dangerous to make attendance data public to parents if mistakes are often made by teachers. To disable the attendance tab completely, de-select all six checkboxes. Here is an explanation of the options:
- Enable Student Schedule: Select this box to let students view and print their schedule on the portal. It looks like this: http://screencast.com/t/PMBrrtBc
- Enable Grade Alerts: Select this box to enable the Grade Alerts tab in the Student & Parent Portal, which allows students and parents to see missing work as well as standards for which the student is showing low levels of mastery. It looks like this: http://screencast.com/t/Ghz19gf1YlI
- Enable Upcoming Assessments: Select this box to enable the Upcoming Assessments tab in the portal. It looks like this: http://screencast.com/t/rY3hs0zrchgm and you can learn more about it in this article.
- Enable Current Grades: Select this box to enabled the Current Grades (a.k.a. Mastery) tab in the portal. It looks like this: http://screencast.com/t/Nln6nd94W
- (1) Period by Period average shows the percentage of periods for which a student was in class (tardy counts as 75%)
- (2) Day by Day average shows the percentage of days for which the student showed up (present or tardy) for at least one period
- (3) Days Present shows the number of days that the student was marked present or tardy for at least one period
- (4) Total Days of Data shows the total number of days for which attendance information exists, regardless of the mark
- (5) Period by Period Grid shows the attendance data for individual periods of the day and for individual days. White boxes indicate periods for which no attendance data exists.
- (6) Student Attendance Trend Graph graphs a moving average of attendance data, useful in identifying trends in attendance but without revealing individual attendance per day or per period.
Creating Student Accounts
When setting up the Portal, you can also manage individual student accounts and view login statistics using the Accounts page.
(1) Login Stats: You can quickly see how many times each student has logged into the Portal, as well as the date of the most recent login.
(2) Usernames: Here you can edit or import the username used to access the Portal. Use the menu in the top-right to import or export this information.
(3) Passwords: If you choose to have students log in with a password (required if you use the Mobile Portal app for Android and iOS), you'll need to set up passwords for each student account. From the menu in the top right of the Accounts list, you can set up passwords in bulk in several ways. You have the choice of setting all student passwords to their ID number (this is our recommended approach as it minimizes password management logistics), to generate a random PIN-type password (5-digit number) for each student, or to import passwords from a spreadsheet. Note: the "Randomize All Passwords", will overwrite any previous password for all students. To change passwords individually, simply type them into the account list. From the Passwords section, you can also print out a list of all student accounts and passwords to aid in distribution. Check off "Auto-set New Student Passwords" to automatically set the password for new students to their student ID.
(4) Masquerade: Click the little ninja icon to the right to masquerade into the Portal from the perspective of any individual student. This is a great way to test out your settings.
(5) Welcome Emails: If you have added student and/or parent emails, JumpRope can send out a welcome email including a link to the portal, login instructions, and any custom message that you wish. Simply click the Send Email button for an individual student or select Send Welcome Emails to All from the menu on the top right of the account list.
We wish you the best, and are standing by for your comments, questions, and feedback. If you are getting ready to launch the Portal, we also recommend checking out these resources: