Entering attendance into JumpRope is designed to be quick and easy for teachers. That said, there are two places from which you can enter attendance in the system.
- Straight from the Dashboard - this option allows for quick-and-dirty attendance entry when you don't have time to worry about anything else. Just double-click on one of your courses from your teacher schedule on the dashboard.
- From the Courses Tab - the courses tab gives you many options to work with for your courses, including attendance entry and reports. To access attendance entry, simply select the courses tab and choose a course from the list at left. This option has the added benefit of quick access to the Student Panel for quick stats on and tools for each student in your class.
- If you see student names glowing in blue, it means that the student's birthday is approaching. Glowing in red means that it's their birthday today! Mouse over to see each student's birthday.
Regardless of the method that you choose, entering attendance is the same.
- Verify the Date - you had the opportunity on the dashboard or course tab to choose the date - make sure that you're entering attendance on the correct date!
- Click on the first student's name and use the P, T, A, and E keys - due to limitations in some browsers, it's best to click the student's name rather than the box to the left. Then, simply use the shortcut keys as described below to quickly enter attendance and advance to the next student in the list.
- P for Present - represented by green, this averages in at 100%
- T for Tardy - represented by yellow, this averages in at 75%
- A for Absent - represented by red, this averages in at 14%. Just kidding, it's 0%.
- E for Excused - presented by gray, this represents an excused absent and does not count in attendance averages at all.
- Optionally, you can also "click in" attendance - If you're a mouser more than a keyer, you may also click on the box to the left of each student's name to enter attendance. It will cycle through the options in the order shown above. Careful not to click too quickly, or it will assume that it's a double-click and take you to the student's page!
- Optionally, if enabled for your account, you can add comments to attendance records - think "walked in half-way through class," "was excused by parent phone call," or "10 minutes late." To do so, click the slight gray comment bubble to the right of the student's name and follow the directions. If a comment has already been entered, other teachers can see the comment and administrators see the comment in school-wide reports.
- When you're finished, click the Submit Attendance button - wait for confirmation, and you're off!
If at any time you notice an orange warning sign at the top of your class list or any mention of a "SuperCourse", you may wish to check out this article.
At this point, it may be worthwhile to read a little bit about how JumpRope works with Period by Period Attendance to represent "time in seat" as accurately as possible. Some schools, however, may have opted to only take attendance once per day. It will help you understand some important aspects of the available reports.
Oh, and here are some goodies associated with attendance entry:
- The colored boxes to the right show attendance by period throughout the currently-selected day. You can mouse over each for more details in a tooltip (teacher, room number).
- You can always change attendance by simply re-loading the attendance list, changing some values, and re-submitting.
- Double-clicking on a student's name will load the student's detail page. If you're using the Dashboard attendance popup, it will load in the background.
- If you see names glowing in blue, it means that the student's birthday is approaching. Glowing in red means that it's their birthday today! Mouse over to see each student's birthday.
- From the settings menu, you can access a printed version of your class list, complete with some grid marks useful for paper-based entry of attendance or grades or the like (yeah, we get it - sometimes paper is just better)
- If you're using the Course Tab version of attendance entry, you'll have quick access to Comments, attendance history, and contact information for the selected student.
- You can use the arrow keys to move between students when in keyboard mode, but make sure to enter attendance for every student or it won't let you submit!
Well, I think that's about it! Remember to take attendance every period - many school systems depend on accurate period-by-period attendance. Let us know below if you have any comments or questions!