When JumpRope first gets set up in a school, certain users are given access to the Admin Console. The Admin Console provides administrative tools to - among other things - create, modify, and delete/disable user accounts for your school, network, or region.
Adding or Modifying Users
For more step-by-step instructions on this process, please click here.
To begin, log into the Admin Console (you can always access links to our tools from our primary website). Once logged in, click on the Users tab. By default, you will see a list of users on the left - since you're logged in, this list will contain (at the very least) your account, and possibly a "JumpRope Admin" account as well. To view or modify account settings, simply click on a user's name in the list and the account information will be displayed in the list at right. Whether you're viewing, modifying, or creating a new account, the fields and tools are similar:
- Username: this is the official username to log in to JumpRope. It must be a valid email address, and the user must have access to the email account. This is the address that we will send a welcome email to that contains a secure link to allow them to set their password and log into the system. Once a user has logged in, the username cannot be changed. However, a preferred email can be set for each user for general notifications and correspondence, and the user will be asked to set their preferred email upon first login.
- First / Last Name: You can change it at any time.
- Type: account type (i.e. Teacher, Staff, Administrator). Most users will not be able to change this setting for their own account. Permissions are not granted based on the account type, but certain functions and reports use this to categorize users.
- Schedule Name: this is a special setting that allows the system to map teachers to different courses within the system. It is likely automatically set upon the next schedule sync/upload.
- Name to Kids: we know that in schools we often are known by something other than our full name. This is your chance to set the name that you would like displayed publicly within the system and on (most) printed reports for which students are the audience. This could be, for example, "Mr. Olsen." Users are asked to set this upon first login, so it's probably best not to change it in the Admin Console.
- Member Of: not available to most users, this allows you to configure the group that your account is a member of.
- Preferred Email: change this setting to determine the email address that you would like to use to receive communications and notifications from the system. You will still have to log into the system using your official username.
- Permissions: These give users access to the different modules of JumpRope. Read here for more information.
Admin Account Tools
There are a few tools that are provided that can help you administer JumpRope. They appear as buttons beneath the account settings, and will only appear for users who have given permission to apply them.
- Send Welcome Email - this feature allows you to send (or re-send) a welcome email to the user with instructions for their first login. It is similar to the Reset Password tool in that it emails a secure link that will allow the user to log in, but the email itself is written in an introductory manner.
- Masquerade as User - Ninja mode! This feature allows you to "assume" the identity of a user in the system. Read this article for more information on this feature.
Creating New Users
Creating a new user from the Admin Console is relatively simple.
- Locate and click the "Create New User" button beneath the user list at left.
- Select the "New User" that is added to the list (in most cases, JumpRope will do this for you automatically) and fill in the required fields at right.
- Click the Submit button in the bottom right, and wait for confirmation. Follow any instructions given to you if there are errors.
- Once saved, you may wish to click the Send Welcome Email to send the user their login instructions. You cannot do this until the user is successfully saved in our system. Keep in mind that you cannot masquerade into a user's account until they have successfully logged in for the first time.
Bulk Import of Users
When you first begin using the system, it can be useful to import users in bulk. For step-by-step instructions on this process, please click here. Please keep in mind that you should only create accounts in JumpRope for teachers, administrators, and staff - students and parents access the Parent & Student Portal via a separate account system, since they have limited access. With this in mind, here's how you can bulk-import accounts:
- From the Users tab in the Admin Console, look for the Excel icon towards the top left (labeled Import Users and click it.
- Follow the instructions at right. Specifically:
- Download the Excel template. This file contains an empty spreadsheet with the proper column headings for import. While it is possible to upload the data in a different format, we recommend beginning with this template to make sure that you include all relevant fields. It also includes comments explaining the purpose of each column.
- Fill out the spreadsheet and save it to your computer.
- Click on the "Load from CSV or Excel" button, browse for the file, and open it. Wait for the file to fully upload.
- If asked to, double-check the preview and ensure that all columns are properly mapped to the related account fields.
- Click the Okay button in the bottom-right of the "field mapping tool."
- Look through the imported data that is displayed on your screen, and make sure that things "appear correct." Also, respond to any errors or warnings that the system alerts you to.
- If everything looks good, click the "Everything looks good - upload my new users!" button and wait for a response. You may wish to automatically send each user a welcome email. If so, check the box indicating this preference next to the upload button.
- You're done!
Deleting or Disabling User Accounts
For a number of reasons (data integrity and security, primarily), JumpRope does not allow you to completely delete user accounts during a school year. However, you can easily disable an account, making it impossible for the user to log in or access any data. To do so, simply click on the user from the list at left and check the Disabled checkbox under the account settings. If you do not see the option to do so, it likely means that your account doesn't have permission to disable users. If you need permission, please contact an administrator at your school or our email support.
We hope that this helps you use our account management tools in the Admin Console. As always, please let us know below if you have any comments or questions!