JumpRope is pleased to announce a brand new version of our Student & Parent Portal for the 2016 school year. We will be rolling this out initially to volunteers and eventually to all schools and districts. There are a number of improvements, but here are the highlights:
- Works across web, tablet, and mobile phones without the need for Adobe Flash or an app from the app store.
- Simplified and improved overview of current grades, including a summary of missing work and the date that scores were last updated.
- Detailed view of mastery per standard including a chart showing change in scores over time.
- Loads faster and takes up less bandwidth!
Certain aspects of the system are still in development. Not quite done yet, but coming soon:
- Upcoming work view for schools/teachers that plan ahead in JumpRope. (COMPLETED 2016-09-08)
- Ability to access attached files for missing and upcoming work. (COMPLETED 2016-09-08)
- Single Sign-on with Google Apps (COMPLETED 2017-01-15)
- Showing attendance and schedule data. (COMPLETED 2017-04-02)
- Support for separate logins for parents and students (instead of shared login), as well as support for sibling relationships.
- Real-time grade updates (right now, it can take up to 5 minutes for a score change to reflect on the portal).
Before you opt in to the new portal, there are a couple of things to know:
- Students must log in with an email address and password (you can control both of these as a school or district administrator). The new portal does not support JumpRope's legacy login method that allowed students to log in using their name and/or contact information. We understand that this may represent a loss in convenience, but it was a necessary step to improve security, support connected accounts, and provide the ability to reset passwords (where applicable).
- You cannot run both portals at the same time - switching to the new portal will replace the old portal both for student/parent logins as well as for the "ninja" feature from the Teacher and Admin dashboards.
If you are interested in opting into the new portal:
- Please review this document carefully to make sure that the current features meet your needs.
- Reach out to JumpRope's support team so that we can determine if your school or district is eligible.
- Consider putting a plan in place for a date to switch over and how to message this to your school community (especially if you've been using the old version of our portal).
If you just opted in to the new portal, there are some steps you may need to complete before it's ready to go live:
- Log in to the Admin Console for each school involved and access the new Student & Parent Portal Settings (they've changed a bit for this version). JumpRope's team will have done it's best to convert your older settings over so that the language and options match the old portal, but it's worth double-checking the introduction messages and consider taking advantage of the improved formatting options. Make sure to check that any links still work!
- Ninja in as a couple of students and check the portal from the student/parent perspective to make sure things "look right." Again, JumpRope Support will have done this as part of the upgrade but it's still worth double-checking!
- If your community previously used the mobile portal (iOS), the old app will have been disabled and will show a message that links to the new portal. The new portal works in mobile browsers on Android and iOS devices (as well as PC browsers) as shown below, but the old App Store app is obsolete. If your school or district manages mobile devices, it's best to remove the obsolete app ("JumpRope M") in favor of our new login page (a web link to https://www.jumpro.pe/login).
- Double check that all students have usernames and passwords in the Admin Console->Portal Settings->Accounts. In some cases these are automatically created when data is synchronized with other systems, but depending on your settings you may need to type/import usernames and passwords. Unlike earlier versions of the portal, both a username and a password are required for the new version. For security and compliance reasons we no longer support the older "log in with biographicals" options.
- For users accessing the portal on a PC, existing links should work fine (and direct users to the new portal) if users bookmarked existing links or you have a link to your portal on your website. In other words, you don't need to change anything if you have links posted to the portal; however, it's worth noting that Username and Password is the only available login option which may require clarification for users who previously logged in using their name or phone number.
Okay, let's take a look at the new portal!
Simplified Current Grades view with summary of missing work and date changed.
Standard mastery details, including chart.
Improved Missing Work view.
Improved for different screen sizes (designed to work on phones and tablets).